Monday, February 25, 2013

The Patterson House, Nashville


Even at five, I found the romance of Summers on the Farm to be feverishly intoxicating. Mother would pack up the Woody and I would spend the next few weeks tracking wild kittens, chasing the sunset down long dirt roads, and catching fireflies. I fancied myself a country girl, but Uncle Ernst was the first to see what I could not.


“City Britches!” he’d cackle every time I ran up to him. I used to think that his raspy term of endearment referred to the ruffled shorts, smocked dresses, and “Chocolate Soup” labels that filled my suitcase. But perhaps the City Girl he saw, was peeking out from underneath all that - a clairvoyance that I wouldn’t appreciate until much later in life.


It was with a generous dose of sentiment, that I found appreciation for (and realized we shared) this gift. Just off a country road, Nashville’s Music Row to be exact, I stepped into Patterson House on a tip from the Chef at The Hermitage and was delightfully surprised to see The City, peaking out from underneath.

The Hermitage.  Your legendary Men's Room, your Butler-Drawn Bubble Baths . . .  Oh but it was your late check out that stole my heart forever.  He: "Well what time would you like to check out?" Me: "Five o'clock in the evening," I replied in jest.  He: "We'll see you then Miss Smith."  My hero!

The Patterson House, 1711 Division Street: Nashville

I had the complete, undivided, attention of my bartender. “What do you like,” he asked with an inquisitive patience that I had yet to experience outside of King Cole, Daniel, and friends. I couldn’t put my finger on it, but there was something more than familiar about his particular brand of service. And when I answered “the only Spirit I don’t like is Gin,” I was but a wink, a smile, and a “Well I think we can convert you” away from perfectly smitten. Our New York Minute ended as he delicately floated a rose petal over the Gin based Juliet & Romeo.

I would later discover that our moment was actually orchestrated genius compliments of the Lower Manhattan firm Alchemy Consulting. “Preserve the Sexy” instructs The Rules, posted at the Patterson House front door. And boasting a portfolio that includes New York night spots The Randolph at Broome, BAR SE7EN 5IVE, and The Rusty Knot, partners Toby Maloney, Jason Cott, Joaquin Simo, and Troy Sidle are doing just that - sending “the sexy” South, one perfect cocktail at a time. Their most recent Southern dalliance, The Catbird Seat, was a 2012 James Beard Best New Restaurant Semifinalist.

You won’t be able to hail a cab from the front porch of Patterson House.  But you can bet your sweet City Britches that you’ll find a Northern sensibility complimenting the Southern Hospitality served inside.

My Favorites?  The Juliet & Romeo (plymouth, lime, mint, cucumber & rosewater), El Diablo (lunazul reposado, lemon, house made ginger syrup & briottet cassis), and The Duck Hunter (pritchard's sweet lucy, lemon, egg yolk, st. elizabeth's allspice dram, regan's orange bitters)

And did I mention that I heart the bartenders?

No comments: