Monday, October 6, 2008

October Isn't Over, In Fact The Fun Has Just Begun!

. . . "If you never did, you should. These things are fun, and fun is good."

So says the fascinating Theodor Seuss Geisel . . . Dr. Suess! And I must tell you, it's a sentiment that I found myself expressing at the end of what was . . . an entirely . . . delightful . . . weekend!

I had myself all whipped into quite the tizzie (over Friday night) for most of the week. Macon Arts, Marketplace Martinis, September Hase at Cox Capitol Theatre and the list goes on and on and on. Culturally speaking - I was in over my well scheduled head! Sans the ability to clone herself - what's a girl to do?

However - in a single, clarity-inducing moment during which Charley Hellis invited me to be among her "Friends & Family" for the dress rehearsal of Seussical . . . I knew, for sure, that there was only one place for me to be - seated at Theatre Macon as both VIP and VHP (very honored person)!

The sneak peek that I partook of par-took my breath away! A Toast goes to my friends Kate Long, Catey Beth Cohenour and (of course) Thing Two AND Cadet . . . Charley Hellis. They were simply adorable and I cannot wait to see their next appearance on stage.

And THE Toast goes, without a doubt, to Leah Parris as Gertrude McFuzz. Her, at times heartbreaking, adoration of Horton made my own Seuss-loving heart swell (in a way that it hasn't since Taylor Momsen's portrayal of Cindy Lou Who) and reminded me of another little something that the Dr. Once said.

"You know you're in love when you can't fall asleep because reality is finally better than your dreams."

Hmmm . . . Ahhh!

Saturday morning, what I was in love with WAS my sleep - and my eyelids . . . a love affair that ended WAY too soon. Seven o'clock a.m. is an hour that I don't even see on weekdays! But what a delicious treat was in store for me.

I attended the Crossroads Writers Conference. It began with registration and a bit of reflecting on my part - including a chilling recollection of my aversion to formal education. The bagels and croissants at Market City were great! Although . . . I think the plates were hiding out with the liquor that Terrell was looking for the night before.

But four or five cups of coffee later I was transformed . . . and this note-taking, teacher's-pet-yearning, sponge-braining, Soon-to-be (paid) writer-to-be machine was AB-SO-LUTELY BLOWN AWAY! Chris and Heather outdid themselves . . . and if you write . . . and if you weren't there . . . well then you should just be too ashamed to leave the house for a while.

A Toast to Miss Jessica "J" Walden, and to Rick Hutto, and most especially to Ad Hudler. Please forgive me for not laughing at your periodontal parable. I am absolutely certain that it was devastatingly hilarious. But I was too tired, and too in deficit of attentiveness, and too low on caffeine to even muster a giggle. I beg you not to take it personally?

And THE Toast . . . goes to Stanley Booth. Mr. Booth stole my heart with an opening proclamation that he had "married over his head" and the subsequent telling of "the most romantic thing that ever happened to" him.

After listening to the story of a young poet named Diann Blakely who wrote a review in Nashville Scene of a book written by Stanley Booth and then, unbeknownst-to-her, stole his heart forever with a single poem . . . I couldn't help but feel that a teensy piece of mine had been stolen as well.

The culture that you seek, is alive and well in the heart of our dear city. A heart that (much like the one beating in Dr. Seuss' classically misunderstood Grinch) is much bigger than it often appears.

aS

Hot This Week!
(Ooh Girl It Is Soooo . . . )

My Manicorn!

SunTrust Bank - but only if I can find someone who will help me clear up the internet scam I seem to have been targeted by.

September Hase! They rocked the CCT on Friday night and, if you haven't seen the band that brought Alan Walden out of retirement, you must do so ASAP. New Year's Eve - Save the Date!

A fellow with a Hoopty . . . If my G Man is out of town - I'm going to need a Pimp to take to the Pipkins'!!!

The new menu at Fountain of Juice! Seriously y'all . . . I had the new portabello sandwich and it rocked my WHOLE MOUTH!

Seussical the Musical continues at Theatre Macon.

No comments: