Tuesday, September 22, 2009

A Pretty Little French "Full Plate"

a
Oh I don’t EVEN know where to start!

This was my first week of class . . . Travel Writing with The New York Times. And I knew that this was going to be something that I would enjoy. But I just never imagined that it would be such a special experience. My teacher (a Yale graduate) is so adorable and not just because she tells me that I’m “brilliant!” with such head fattening frequency. The material is amazing, the class discussions are entertaining, and my new friends are most international! Kansas City Jeff (the fly fisherman), “Fancy Nancy” French Mackensie (who once lived with Madame Poupon near the Eiffel Tower), Newport Bonnie (who introduced me to Flash Mob Dancing), and Gathoni (who shares photography tips all the way from Nairobi). During week two we even get a “lounge” to hang out in. Tink, tink, tink! A Toast to Gotham.

It was also a week to Toast some very special ladies. I cried with Kristin Chenoweth whose acceptance speech was just as precious as the divinely precocious Olive Snook. Sniff . . . I miss Pushing Daisies. Jessica Lange made Big Edie proud. “Little Edie” traded in that unfortunate two-toned coiffure and stole the show in one of the most exquisite gowns I’ve ever seen. A Toast to Monique Lhuillier for that petal pink confection! And I got a little sand in my eye when the time came to say goodbye to one of my favorite women, Lynn Cass. She’s mountain bound and I don’t know what Macon will do without her. But even this little rain cloud has a silver lining. She ran out of room for her Limoges! And, believe me, I had no trouble finding room for them in my china cabinet. The set isn’t complete and there’s a chip or two but I adore each and every piece. And isn’t that how love is anyway. I love people because of, not in spite of, their imperfections. So when I look at my “new” Limoges, I think of a “funny” whose laughter inspired a broken plate, or a debate whose fervor chipped a saucer. I think of Lynn’s face when she said “I’m glad you’re going to have these.”

And, speaking of Love, I would LOVE to celebrate the completion of my first Novel on them! Yep, that’s what I said . . . I have begun to write my very first novel. And I think that those of you who keep telling me that I’m a little bit Bridget Jones and a little bit Carrie Bradshaw are going to be a big bit pleased. The chapters will be posted on a members only website. So if you’re into “Secret Societies” I would love to put you on the list. Just send me an email and I’ll “teach you the handshake.”

Ciao!

aS, Ashley Smith


Doc Turvy Suggests . . .

The 50% off Table at Vineville Beverage

(Ooh Girl It Is SO) Hot This Week!

Middle Georgia Plays

Hay House Behind the Scenes Tour

Cirque Dreams

No comments: