Sunday, January 20, 2013

I Would Rather Light A Candle


I had come so far.  But so far, I've only written about how.  There is a why as well.  And it's a why, that belonged to Eleanor Roosevelt before it belonged to me.



"She would rather light candles than curse the darkness and her glow has warmed the world." 

Adlai Stevenson, Eulogy of Eleanor Roosevelt, November 7, 1962

On the Eleventh Day of Christmas, I lit a candle.  The first of many and the reason that I had traveled so far.

I spent my days in Antibes learning the Art of Candle Making.   Because I want to make candles whose glow will change our world.  

"Is this really what I was born to do?"

A "yes" to that question, came to me as a whisper.  A whisper that frightened me more than just a little bit.

Oh but just look where fear had led me so far:  Belle Voyage!


No comments: