Saturday, January 19, 2013

On The Tenth Day Of Christmas ...


Leapin' Lords!

When I reached Antibes, time began to haunt me.  I couldn’t believe how far, both geographically and spiritually, I had come in the short space of a single week.  Seven days and countless carousels later, the forward momentum was catching up with me.  Looking back so suddenly caused me some anxiety over my departure.

Had I seen enough, done enough, discovered enough, learned enough, lived enough?  Missed enough sleep, taken enough notes, snapped enough photos?  Chosen the right mementos?  Would I remember enough?

My own carousel horse stands on top of a music box and dances to the 18th variation of Rachmaninoff's "Rhapsody on a Theme of Paganini," one of my favorites.  It's a piece that I have loved since I was a very little girl.  “In my own compositions, no conscious effort has been made to be original, or Romantic, or Nationalistic, or anything else" the composer once remarked "I write down on paper the music I hear within me."

I have to wonder if it will be believable to you that, on my first day in Antibes and with so many insecurities nagging me, upon meeting my host for breakfast I realized that the cafe he had chosen was carousel themed?  Or that after our first meeting at his studio, I walked out the door to see - yes - a carousel spinning in front of me?  I can't help but feel that these circumstances become even less believable when I say that, tucked behind Aphrodite's Chariot, and as Zeus is my witness, there was a carousel SWAN.

It all seems contrived and overly romanticized.  "Extra queso" as His Ryness would put it.  All that considered, the music within me - Rachmaninoff - played on.  I'm just the scribe.

Antibes was a vision!  A vision that saw me through the taming all of those "enoughs?" with an answer.  Yes.

Yes!

The fresh seafood, the FLEAS - I heart a flea, the boats, the water, the Alps on the horizon, the Gelato!  But for cups of coffee whose price tag rivals a "Venti" yet is dwarfed in size by a "Tall," the South of France is heaven.

And there was one moment in particular when I tipped my hat, raised my glass, and thanked my lucky stars that I "left my home in Georgia."


To Optimistic Happiness, Always Moving Forward.
And To Watchin' Our Ships Roll In!
Cheers, To You.
My Friend.

No comments: