Saturday, May 4, 2013

A Spring In My Step


“Oh I have something you need to see” 

insisted the gentleman standing in front of me at the gallery on Royal, as I wondered how he had come to such a conclusion. “This should be interesting” I thought.  In this neck of the woods, having long ago grown immune to the element of surprise usually associated with the variety of peculiarity presenting itself, I was disarmed. A circumstance that would add drama to the moment that followed.

He lifted a wooden frame from the floor and held it up in front of me.  

And suddenly the ground underneath me came up through my feet, coursed through my legs and arms, ran down from my shoulders, wrapped itself around my heart - throbbing, came up through my throat, and (in a rather inconvenient deluge) ran down my cheeks.  The salty tears were on the sides of my tongue before I even knew what hit me.  

In shock I just kept thinking: "what?" . . . "just happened???"

This happened.


As I continued down the street, disheveled to say the least.  I couldn't help but look toward the Moon and think to myself "I see what you did there."  

An earlier stroll in the opposite direction had been fraught with a generous dose of regret.

"All of a sudden everywhere you look it’s like a mirror.  And you can see, only you’re not just looking at what’s physical and you can see what’s spiritual," he said.  Later on, when I realized the reflective nature of the shot I'd captured,  I remembered.  "Yeah."

The Artist, Chris Roberts-Antieau, has thrown me into a full-on infatuation.  And it seems that I'm not the only one.  In a piece for TIME Entertainment posted on Thursday, Katy Steinmetz got the 411.  And there's a documentary to boot!  I'll certainly be adding this one to the top of My List!

To My Mother. 
This one's for her . . .



1 comment:

Geri said...

My favorite blog to date . . . and not just because you included art "just for me!" Very interesting. I checked out website and was disappointed to see one of her workshops has just passed. Maybe a tour guide can set that up? Next time!