Tuesday, December 22, 2009

Santa According To Church

a
(links are to our faves)

Yes, Virginia, there is a Santa Claus.
He exists as certainly as love and generosity and devotion exist,
and you know that they abound and give to your life its highest beauty and joy.

Francis Pharcellus Church

Church was right . . . “Santa” is one of the many wonderful things in this world that we cannot see. But even though, once a year, he’s all around us. Now he isn't there when people are pushing and shoving their way through stores (spreading rudeness like the swine flu) in an effort to save a couple of bucks. And he’s not in the corners of holiday parties where people are sensationalizing tales that aren’t even close to the truth. But he isn't too hard to find and I've been running into the big guy everywhere.

He walked with me to the Culp’s house for dinner the other night. I know, I know, and some of the guests were confused by my choice to hoof it. But I like to walk places. It was a gorgeous night and the cool air felt so wonderful on my cheeks. By the time I got there I was all warm and fuzzy.

Elizabeth was serving a glass of deliciousness (Vodka, Grenadine & Prosecco) which was named after a drink that I invented when our idea of sophistication was hunch punch. We’ve come a long way baby! We got to tuck in the wee ones, dinner was amazing, and Derek & Josh need their own comedy hour. The highlight of our evening was when a certain guest (who shall remain nameless) posed the question “would YOU like a ticket to the gun show?” And I have to say (because we were all in agreement) that the gun show was pretty sweet. I’m so glad that The YaYas all married funny men.

Speaking of The YaYas . . . let me just say that they have outdone themselves in the Christmas Card Department this year. Florence Dupuy is wearing a pearl brooch that I am pea green with envy over. Ben & Maggie Tucker are the SWEETEST little rosy cheeked things. Sam & Mimi Culp are frolicking in the cutest PJ’s I’ve ever seen. And I got not one but (because that’s just how she and her G-Max roll) two greetings from Tinsley Loyd. Yes Pere Noel is definitely on my mantle as well . . . in the faces of Sweet, Beth, Elizabeth, and Leigh’s little elves.

Saint Nick must have been there listening when Jim Dear called to let me know that I would be joining the cast of “Out of Order” . . . I am SO excited to finally be doing a show with Kimbrough Donner. The Jolly Old Elf was most definitely at Huntley Sanders’ Party where I got to see Brad & Gardner and was entertained by The Gene Hatcher Posse. And he must have put a bug in Casey Stribling’s ear because she introduced me to Onesies. Yes, for all of these things, I thank Santa. A TOAST to the big guy – he’s definitely a keeper!

aS

Doctor Turvy Suggests . . .

Chateau Gloria St. Julien, 1985

(Ooh Girl It Is Sooo) Hot This Week . . .

French Onion Soup at Fountain of Juice

Butternut Squash and Apple Soup at Freshmarket

Christmas Eve at The Riverview Ballroom

No comments: